7.6.06

Neglect

So much for my idea of blogging every day at the CSD...

After getting behind on day three I pretty much predicted this was going to continue for the rest of my stay in New York. Working at the UN by day, attending jazz gigs by night was my standard routine - most of the time I dislike any idea of such a regimented lifestyle, but you can't go wrong in this instance. I couldn't have had better excuses for the lack of blogging!

Reflecting on my time at the CSD, the event becomes even more awesome. The Youth Caucus achieved great things and I wish I had found the time to describe all its activities in detail on a daily basis. I have at least kept a rough list of what happened, and maybe I'll eventually get around to converting this into retrospective blog entries. I'd also love to document some of the gigs I attended, which were simply incredible.

Of course, I don't know who is reading this... but even if it's nobody, I like keeping a written record of my life for myself as much as for anyone else. It seems that blogging for me comes in phases... anyone glancing through the entries right now can see that from the huge time gaps that seem to have elapsed in between some of the "recent" posts. I think it's time for me to try and get into another phase of updating more frequently again. To me, there's a certain art to blogging - and I haven't quite mastered it yet. Finding the right balance of what to include or leave out is a key element. Another issue is this whole thing of retrospective entries. Can it really be described as "a personal chronological log" if you're going back in time to write about things which have already happened (and posting them in the past)? Doesn't that take away all the fun of instant publishing? We'll have to see. Maybe I'll make one huge effort to catch up on everything, then accept having to leave in the hands of fate how much time I have and realise there will always be gaps in the story.

On one hand, you could say life is far too complicated to reduce down to anything possible for someone to write at all briefly. Sometimes I definitely feel this way. However, I think blogging (or keeping any kind of diary) helps a lot of people simplify things just by giving them a chance to get everything out of their minds and onto the page. Like thinking out loud with a pen/keyboard. So much stuff flies around in my head, I find myself making endless lists at the moment and constantly scribbling notes of things to remember I need to do... and then what often happens is that I forget about the list, which hardly helps matters!

Anyway, now I'm back in London and planning furiously for a trip to Ghana later this month, where I will conduct the second stage of filming for the documentary I started shooting in NYC. Things went pretty well there with regards to the production, although there are a few things I missed out on which may well become a frustration when the lengthy process of editing begins. Only time will tell, but I'm optimistic about how the project is going generally - especially since there have been some major setbacks to overcome in the funding department.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home