14.3.06

You can't be 18 forever

Today is my 19th birthday and it's feeling quite strange. Not in a bad way, but it's a bit hard to believe that year is over already...

It was such a busy one, definitely the best of my life so far, so the next has a lot to live up to. 18 was the year when I faced many challenges and that's only set to continue in greater magnitude. I'll be starting university in October but before then I hope to travel again and get through a lot of the long list I made myself for this gap year. It's been amazing so far, especially with all the travelling, but now I've been back for a few months and "normal" life is returning.

I'm happy to be working now for Westminster, but the main part of this job is also yet to begin. Things have been a little slow at the outset. My contract runs at least until the end of April, but after that I'm not really sure what's going to happen. Things need to be planned out, but with so many uncertainties at the moment that's going to be difficult. I don't want to waste these last few months of relative freedom before study comes back.

We'll have to see how things pan out. At the moment it's been strange enough going back to any sort of daily routine - haven't had that since the end of school. I think it will do more good than harm though; I was getting really bored without a proper job before so this came at just the right time. Didn't want to do anything mundane or boring, like going back to shop work again. It had to be challening, rewarding and interesting - and luckily enough I've found something to fit those terms.

More gigs coming up this week, including one of my favourite groups the YoungBlood Brass Band, who are playing at a venue down in Shoreditch on Wednesday night. I've seen them twice before and they're only getting better, so this should be the best yet. Today was also the beginning of an international guitar festival, organised by the Venezuelan Embassy and taking place in a concert hall beneath. Click here to check it out. The festival is basically three weeks of free gigs from some of the finest guitarists around, padded out with performances from music students at the UK's top schools. Unmissable if you ask me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home