10.7.07

Torrential Downpour

So far I haven't really had the time to write about anything other than the music here at Sunsplash. I'm planning to talk about things like the atmosphere of the festival and other activities which have been going on, but today it's going to be the weather...

Up until yesterday afternoon everything had been perfect, with the festival living up to its name and the campers drenched in sun. It must have been nearly 30 degrees at times - definitely what I had been needing after mixed fortunes in Brussels and Prague over the last couple of weeks. I knew something would eventually have to give... and yesterday it did, with heavy rain and then a tropical storm like no other I have ever seen. Rain pounded down for what seemed like hours and when I returned to my tent after the music I felt like it was going to be swept away by the gales. I think I managed to get to sleep after a while, but then at around 7am it took off again. Everything was completely soaked this morning; I'm surprised no water found its way inside.

Having said that, things seemed to have brightened up today and the park seems to be slowly drying off. Hopefully the process will be completed by the time the music starts later.

Last night four bands headlined the festival. Tony Rebel, Ras Charmer and Warrior King were all pretty similar in my opinion, mostly in the dancehall style. The opening group, however, provided a refreshingly creative outlook on reggae. Coming from Switzerland, the Moonraisers started off playing to under 20 people straight after the first shower, but more quickly joined in as the set got underway. Their sound wasn't roots reggae in the strictest sense: they incorporated various aspects of world music as well, including one tune which featured only didjeridoo and percussion. To finish off, the band played cover versions of Hotel California (which apparently they are quite famous for) and a Bob Marley classic.

The lineup this evening consists of Prince Theo, Katchafire, Gentleman and Horace Andy. I am familiar with only the third of these names, but according to my research the others are playing largely in a roots style and Katchafire, from New Zealand, blend elements of traditional tribal music into their songs. Horace Andy is a well-known vocalist who has worked with such artists as Massive Attack, so it will be good to see the material he produces under his own name. Gentleman, from Germany, is a predominantly dancehall artist and he is the one I knew already, since I have one of his albums. Hopefully the material tonight will be of a similar quality.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home